Wednesday, August 09, 2006

the adventure begins!

(This was written on Aug 4th) I am currently in Connecticut, on my first leg of my month-long journey that will eventually take me to Switzerland for the FISU World University Games. The stop in Connecticut on the way across the pond was for the ITU Bridgeport Continental Cup Triathlon. It has been approximately 6 weeks since I last raced. During that time I put in some quality training sessions, and felt sure of a good result going into the race.

My last day of work in San Francisco was on Thursday, Aug 3rd. The race in Connecticut was Saturday afternoon, so I decided to take the red-eye to Newark Thursday night. Then I would hitch a ride up to Connecticut on Friday morning. It seemed like a feasible, stress-free plan, but did not turn out that way. I ended up arriving at the airport at 7:30 in the morning, but I had to wait until for my coach arrived 4 hours later. I couldn’t go anywhere or do anything (even use the restroom), because I had my bike and an enough luggage to clothe a small country. After he arrived we had quick hour drive to Connecticut and we were finished. This to proved problematic as it seemed everyone in NYC thought that this weekend would be great to head north on I-95. Four frustrating hours later I arrived in the “fine city” of Bridgeport. If you have ever been to Bridgeport, you understand that when I say “fine city” I mean that with the most sincerely sarcastic tone I can use.

The race was definitely not my finest day in the sport of triathlon, but it did have some beacons of hope. The swim went excellent. I felt strong and in control the entire way. The run-out of the water was a little rough, but it was pretty much the gravy-train the entire way. I was in the lead pack on the bike, but was not feeling that great. It was climbing to the high 90’s with wicked humidity. I was thirsty on the bike, which is typically not a good sign. As I went out on the run, I knew I was in trouble. It was a death march. I was dehydrated, cramping, and just genuinely miserable. I finished 15th, which got me a few world ranking points, but was very frustrating because I was right in the mix off the bike, and if I had run even close to what I usually do, I would have been easily in the top ten. Now I am still in Connecticut until Monday night when Manny Huerta, Sara McLarty, and I travel to Sembach, Germany, to prepare for our various World Championship Races.


No comments: