Sunday, July 01, 2007

the big w!

Well, I can finally chaulk up the first win of 2007 season. Granted it was a local race in Lincoln, NE, but it was also a duathlon. After my last duathlon, I swore I would never do another one, but somehow I found myself on the starting line. There was one other really fast duathlete, so I knew I would have to really lay it on the line for the win. I also put in 5:45 hours worth of excercise (a very solid triple workout) on Sat, so I knew I was going in with tired legs. Needless to say, I was a little nervous.....

The format was a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, and 2 mile run. Each run had one really steep hill in it, and the bike was quite hilly, with a few steep hills. Onto the first run, I smashed it! I ran 10:28 completely controlled and it felt great. It was the best I have ever felt or looked (according to a passerby). I started the bike w/ a 20 sec lead, but ended getting caught after 2 of the 3 laps. I hung on and we entered T2 together. I averaged just over 24mph, so I was quite happy. I was confindent in my 2nd run, and started the run strong. I got quite an inital gap, and was able to just finish solidly, clocking around 11:00 for the final 2 miles.

I have really been having good workouts the last 4 weeks or so. I have been killing my track workouts and kept the volume quite high. I am finally sorting out my injuries, and getting solid training in. I have two more weeks before the real racing starts. So I will kill myself this week, take it a little easy the next week, and then get ready to race. Next up on the calendar are the Geneva ITU Continental Cup in New York on Jul 14, then the Jinzhou ITU Continental Cup in Lioning, China on Jul 22, and then the OSIM Singapore ITU Continental Cup on July 29th. That is three races in three weeks, and they are all over the world. Hopefully this race is a sign of good things to come........

Cheers,
B

No comments: